Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Journey

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense until it applies to your own life.

Within the past few days, I've had reason to take a journey into my past. No, I didn't go on some trip to my ancestor's homeland to discover my roots; and no, I didn't discover some long-lost diary that exposes some deep, dark family secrets.

I went on this excursion sitting in front of my computer screen. How does that work, you may ask. It's simple really. I went to work transferring old digital images from cds that have been sitting around for ages, transferring them onto a more reliable storage medium. (In case you're wondering, yes, that's how I roll.)

What I wasn't prepared for was the frame of mind this little organizational task would put me in. You see, I once again was looking at parts of my life (and some people in my life) I really would rather forget. I remembered who I was at those times. I remembered the relationships I engaged in during those times. I remembered things that are still apart of me, even though they are years past. Needless to say, I ended up mentally beating myself up again for things I cannot change. My day and my mood was swiftly headed downhill.

Gradually the awakening began, prompted something other than my own self. I realized how grateful I am for current things in my life, especially in such contrast to these times in my past that were staring me in the face.

I cherish the healthy relationships I have currently. I am thankful for the community of people following God that I am able to be an active part of. I am amazed by the amount of growth that has begun and continues in me by the grace of God.

And I think I was about due for the reminder that I do live a good life. If it had to happen by facing the ghosts of my past, then so be it. I am glad for the heart check.

If you were around to hear Chris Coli speak on "Story," then hopefully these thoughts will make you revisit your own thoughts that were inspired by that series. Otherwise, hopefully it will cause you to examine your own life, where you are, where you've been and where you're going.

No comments: