Friday, June 6, 2008

Who we represent

i'm watching this HBO documentary called "FRIENDS OF GOD".
It's all about evangelical christians in America.
ya.
it's rough.
Ted Haggard is one of the main people interviewed in the documentary...he's the pastor in Colorado Springs who stepped down after it was discovered he was having some sort of affair with a male prostitute...

Other interviews consist of people organizing Christian car shows, a drive-thru church, people who define homosexuality as the route of all evil, people who refute evolution and teach their children that dinosaurs didn't exist and a Christian Theme park.
SERIOUSLY!
It's in Orlando and it's called the HOLY LAND EXPERIENCE.
what? why do we need that?
there was also a bible themed mini golf course that was hella janky.

These are the people I represent in SANTA CRUZ.
oH and George Bush and every televangelist ever and every person with a "GOD HATES GAYS" sign.
When people hear Christian, they see those people.
It's awful...
I feel so discouraged sometimes knowing that.
I'm so tired of Jesus constantly being associated with these people.

If you have a chance to watch it you should.
It's hard but if anything it makes me want to love more.
I don't ever in my life want to assumed as someone who hates because I read the bible, or judges because I believe in God.
I feel like Jesus is so separate from that.
All these screaming people and giant church productions, loud politicians and angry congregations...
I guess our world has become such a loud and chaotic place that the church has responded in the only way tit knows how.

This sounds dumb but I seriously wish that people thought more about the quiet place.
I find myself having to find that place frequently.
Walking to class and driving in my car, waiting for the bus and reading at a coffee shop...i find myself searching for the quiet place where i am reminded fo who i truly represent.

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand]. - Psalm 91:1.

this was a total rant.
i don't know where i'm going with this.
just that it's hard seomtimes...but you guys probably know that.

1 comment:

chopper said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I, too, often struggle with the label of "Christian" because what I hear associated with it is not what I feel called to pursue. That gap frustrates me but also encourages me. Each one of us has the choice to be something different, and I am blessed to see people around me pursuing such.